A peek at My Heros Journey spread in my Travelers Notebook.
If you asked me the one person, living or dead, who I would want to have dinner with, it would, hands down, be Joseph Campbell.
Wikipedia sums him up as an American mythologist, writer and lecturer, best known for his work in comparative mythology and comparative religion. His work covers many aspects of the human experience. His philosophy is often summarized by his phrase: “Follow your bliss.” (read more here).
He has written a lot of books, and did an amazing PBS interview with Bill Moyers., called the Power of Myth. He also had a big influence on George Lucas, and Star Wars. He created the monomyth – or Hero’s Journey that so many of your favorite movies, books and shows use for their plot line.
I have always been fascinated with him, his idealogies and the heros journey. I have been tracking my personal, inner, heros journey for the last couple of years, and wanted to share it with you in case you were interested in it as well. It has been amazing for my inner growth as a person.
I will be sharing more and more spreads with this theme – so think of this post as a primer if you want to learn more – I hope you enjoy it!
He is known for so many amazing quotes… such as:
- The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
- We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
- The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.
- It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.
Here are some things to help you get started:
In the November 2015 issue of Psychologies Magazine
Here are some great blog posts and links on the subject:
- The Hero’s Journey (Newsletter Vol 2 Issue 7) Joseph Campbell on How to Be a Hero
- Cultivating the Hero’s Path
- The Hero’s Journey Outline
- The Ordinary Hero’s Journey: Part I
- Awakening the Hero Within: Hero Archetype Test (I am the Creator!)
Here are some images that illustrate the journey that I found online (sources unknown):
Here is more of the spread: