Journal Prompt: What is your ten word story?
I came across an article talking about a twitter account called Ten Word Poem where the author writes 10 words poems and stories. It gave me the idea to come up with my own ten word story, but not just any story, the story of me. The story of who I am and who I am becoming.
It took me a long time to get the courage up to do this. Seems funny, I am sure, but for some reason I was scared to commit it to paper. Story, after all, creates the narrative of our lives and controls the lens through which we see the world. So, this small prompt can be quite powerful. This is how I cam up with my ten word story:
- I started with a list of words that I felt applied to me: on journey (this is a topic I will be sharing with you more in the weeks to come), big heart, full of love, unique soul, kind, soul searching, sensitive, curious, old soul.
- I then started playing around with them… here are some I tried
- embracing my unique soul and overflowing heart on a journey
- finding lasting peace with my unique soul and sensitive heart
- unique old soul with a big heart finding her path
- I then thought about what was missing from them, what I felt was important to include that I may have been missing, and eventually came up with my final story:
- Kind old soul with a big heart, following her path
- Then the fun part – documenting it with a journal spread in my journal
The best part is that I refer back to this story, almost like a mantra, when I feel I am veering off my path or having a bad day, I find it comforting having this story about me to guide me when I falter.
I did this prompt in my Passport sized Travelers Notebook. I love working in the small size! The insert I am using is one I made myself with old and new papers (see a flip through HERE). I wrote out the prompt in my own lettering, and added the date, as this is a prompt I want to do once a year.
Above you can see the entire spread, and below are the details:
In the photo above, I used one of my many vintage photobooth photos of myself, and a vintage label maker to type out my actual ten word story, “Kind old soul, with a big heart, following her path”
Below, on the used a antique tintype frame (so wonderfully embossed) and Dear Lizzy stickers for “10”, and wrote what the prompt was about.
What is your ten word story?